Generic Flagyl is actually called metronidazole. Generic Flagyl belongs to a group of antibiotics called nitroimidazoles, which are known to treat a wide variety of infections caused by bacteria, protozoa and even amoeba. Generic Flagyl mainly works by means of inhibiting nucleic acid synthesis, disrupting the DNA makeup of the cells of microbes causing the infection. This action only happens when generic Flagyl is somewhat reduced. Due to the fact that this kind of reduction occurs only in the cells of anaerobic organisms, it has no effect on aerobic bacteria or human cells. The very fact that it has little to no effect on human cells makes generic Flagyl a great antibiotic with minimal side effects.
Generic Flagyl is available in dosages of 250 mg and 500 mg tablets, whereas the 750-mg dose is an extended-release tablet. If you are prescribed to take some generic Flagyl for your ailment, you must know that you can take generic Flagyl with or without food. Depending on your ailment that needs to be treated, your doctor should be the one deciding which generic Flagyl treatment regimen will be the best one for you.
Various generic Flagyl treatment regimens are used depending on your ailment. Note the following examples. Please keep in mind that these generic Flagyl dosing schedules can vary.
- Amoebic liver abscess – You have to take generic Flagyl at doses of 500 mg to 750 mg tablets 3 times per day for a period of 5 to 10 days.
- Amoebic dysentery – You must take generic Flagyl at doses of 750 mg 3 times per day for a period of 5 to 10 days.
- Infections caused by anaerobic microbes – You have to use generic Flagyl 7.5 mg/kg orally for 7 to 10 days.
- Bacterial vaginosis – You must take generic Flagyl 500 mg 2 times per day for 7 days. If you are going to take generic Flagyl 750 mg extended release tablets, take it once per day for 7 days.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease – Take generic Flagyl 500 mg tablets 2 times per day for 2 weeks. It works well as a combination drug for PID cases.
- Clostridium difficile ailment – You must take generic Flagyl 250 to 500 mg at 4 times per day.
Just like any other medicines, generic Flagyl has its share of side effects. Common yet tolerable side effects include weight loss, vomiting, nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, abdominal pain and a somewhat undesirable metallic taste in one’s mouth. Uncommon side effects of taking generic Flagyl include headache, dizzy spells, glossitis, dark urine, vomiting, sensation of pins and needles and hypersensitivity outcomes such as flushing, itchiness, rashes and/or fever.
Make sure that when you are under generic Flagyl medication, do not consume any alcohol-based drinks because you may suffer from severe vomiting, nausea, flushing, cramps and headache. Exercise discipline and only drink alcohol once you are finished and already a few days off from taking generic Flagyl. Make sure that you check all the necessary information regarding generic Flagyl so that you know when to continue (if it is working) or stop the medicine (if it is causing you adverse side effects).